DeKalb Pro Bono is seeking a staff attorney to join our team to help low-income people obtain legal assistance in temporary protective order cases and landlord tenant matters.
- Attend all TPO calendars in DeKalb County to screen potentials clients for representation in cases where the Respondent has legal counsel and the Petitioner does not.
- Provide direct representation to survivors of domestic violence in Temporary Protective Order (“TPO”) cases at their evidentiary hearings to obtain a 12-month protective order.
- Provide quality limited legal representation or legal advice to tenants in landlord tenant matters.
- Assist in the development of TPO and Landlord programs to increase capacity and promote the organization’s mission.
- Review TPO and landlord tenant cases to determine which are appropriate for placement with volunteer attorneys. Ensure timely referral, placement, and data entry for all cases referred to an attorney for representation.
- Build and maintain relationships with all project partners including staff and directors of DeKalb County Courts, law enforcement, and community partners; communicate with same as necessary to collaborate and ensure quality services are delivered to clients
- Participate in court and county task forces, committees, and bar activities to maintain relationships with other service providers and expand reach of the Program.
- Provide support to attorney volunteers, including responding to questions, requests for litigation support, and attending court with volunteer when necessary.
- Train and supervise law student interns certified to represent clients under the Georgia Student Practice Rule.
QUALIFICATIONS: Qualified candidates must be a member of the Georgia Bar in good standing and have at least three years of experience. Courtroom experience, including in temporary protective order case or landlord/tenant matters is preferred.
Candidates must also have a demonstrated commitment to social justice and legal services to low-income individuals and/or communities, whether through pro bono work or otherwise; and should possess these qualities:
Legal Skills: Candidates should have strong trial skills, experience with the DeKalb County Courts and the capacity to advocate assertively and effectively with limited preparation time; strong attention to detail and organizational skills, and equally strong analytical legal skills.
Supervisory/Management: Ability to recruitment and manage volunteer lawyers. High level of self-motivation and organization: self-initiated, motivated, well-organized, ability to problem-solve, and able to prioritize and complete tasks efficiently. Experience with building a professional network of attorneys is preferred.
Technological Skills: Candidates should be comfortable learning and working with new technology and be proficient in Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel. Candidate should be comfortable working remotely and conducting hearings over zoom.
COMPENSATION: $50,000 – $60,0000 (depending on experience);
To apply, email resume and cover letter to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.